• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical debts...help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moon2lady

What is the name of your state? Texas
My husband and I have been married short of 2 years and I was diagnosed with Lung cancer in September. I was hospitalized for 22 days...my insurance capped out at this hospital. I have set up a payment plan with this hospital and it is no problem. However I had to have 4 chemotherapy treatments and was put in the hospital (a different hospital) to have them and it turned out that my insurance would not pay for it. I was in each time only overnight and took all my own medications...they only provided and administered the chemo. Now I have these hospital bills that total approx. $160,000. :eek: I did ask for itemized statements...I got 1 of them yesterday....and it is rediculous what all they have on there, including charging me for my own meds that I brought from home and administered myself! Anyway...is there a way I can protect my husbands assets from these horrific bills. We have discussed divorce. Worried in Texas. Could anyone please help me with some advice? Thanks!What is the name of your state?

JETX

is there a way I can protect my husbands assets from these horrific bills. We have discussed divorce.
Nope... and divorce wouldn't help since the bills were incurred DURING the marriage.

Could anyone please help me with some advice?
Keep on the hospital about correcting their billing (a VERY common problem). Then, after the bill is correct, start negotiating for a hardship allowance.... depending on your COMMUNAL financing status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">