• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance Bill - 3 year old bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wagley

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado.

In Feb of 2002, I had knee surgery. Last week, I received a bill from an orthopedic supply company to the tune of $500 for a knee brace that I received after the surgery. I received the knee brace, but don't remember being told I was going to be charged for it. I assumed my insurance covered it, and I paid the co-pays.

I had medical insurance, but I do not have insurance through this firm anymore.

I did not receive a bill at the time of surgery for this amount and I remember several copays associated with it. This just showed up out of the blue.

Do I have to pay this?

Last edited:

zippysgoddess

The SOL for this in Colorado is 3 years, so if it is definitely past that, you can tell them to go pound sand.

You can send a cease and desist letter, telling them that the debt is time barred, and you will no longer accept communications regarding it by either mail or phone. Make sure to send it Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested so you ensure that they received it, and can't try to deny it later.

Why it wasn't covered by insurance, or they didn't contact you about is sooner, is unexplainable.

But like I said, if you are certain it is past the 3 years, which I would figure being up as of April of this year, (figure it should have been about 30days for them to issue the first billing, then 30days after that for it to be in default!) then tell them to bite you! You know it could be a scam, they might have been paid by your insurance, and just thought they had a good opportunity to double dip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">