• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor/ Misappropriation of Funds at Work/ Possible Civil Suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llowe88

[CALIFORNIA]

As you may have noticed, there are MANY factors included in this case. I was involved in an incident at the workplace which resulted in me being fired for "misappropriation of funds" and I was held liable for a debt of $900.00. At the time in which the incident occured, I was 17 years old and didn't want to be involved in a criminal suit, I signed an agreement to pay the company. I was later contacted by an associate of the firm representing the company I worked for for payment purposes but once the associate realized I was a minor at the time the incident took place, she informed me that my parents/ guardians were responsible for paying the debt. Shortly after, I was informed by another party that because I was a minor and the debt occured through a credit card issued by the company when I was a minor (that my parents weren't aware of, neither did they sign for) my parents/ guardians are not responsible either. I recieved a letter yesterday (2+ years later) from the law firm stating they will seek further action if payment isn't recieved in 10 days. I'm not sure what my rights are, whether the fact that I was a minor means I'm not responsible for paying, whether my parents will be held liable, or if the fact that I was issued a credit card by the company when I was underage plays into all of this. Please help! I'm not sure what my plan of action should be. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Debt Guy

I'm not sure what my plan of action should be

Your plan of action should be to act like an adult -- not like a child.

At 17 one knows the difference between right and wrong. You apparently did something wrong. Take care of it. Put it behind you. Go on with your life.

Now, if you want to be a child -- go ahead and look for reasons you should not pay for your actions. Maybe your parents will take care of you until you are 40; I don't know.

You might be sued. That would be fun. My guess is that you cannot afford an attorney and that you do not have a clue how to act as your own attorney. You will probably continue in childlike mode and blow it all off. The plaintiff then will be awarded a default judgment. Your credit will be trashed for 10 years. They will track you down and garnish your wages. Are you having fun yet?

Look. At this point what you did or did not do is history. All that matters is what you do from here forward. What kind of person do you want to be?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">