• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My roommate left his part of debt to me, and now affect my credit report.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elsa9015

My former roommate and I leased an apartment together last year. After the lease ended, a debt collection company called me saying that I owe money to the apartment company, asking me to pay for the debt. They also called my roommate but he never answered their calls. Then I contacted him and he agreed to pay for the debt together, and he agreed that he would pay to the debt collector so I transferred my part of debt to him. But he never paid! I asked him to give my money back. But he never answered me. Now he left the country and the debt collector sent me a debt collection letter to ask for the total amount of that money. And they even put a potentially negative item on my credit report. In this case, is it possible to sue my roommate even though he already left the country? Or what shall I do to only pay for my part and avoid the negative credit report?

justalayman

Ok, you got screwed so

pay the debt collector (after verifying the debt is valid and they have a right to seek payment)

if your friend comes back to the US, sue him for the money you sent him plus 1/2 of what you pay the debt collector.

Or what shall I do to only pay for my part and avoid the negative credit report?
there is no his part or your part. It's one of those: it is OUR debt so either is equally liable for the entire amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">