• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCO Doesn't Accept Yes For An Answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BamRam

Hi Everyone!

Here's the deal...
I had an outstanding debt with Capital One that has been transfered to NCO. I don't know if NCO has purchased the debt or is servicing the debt.

I was contacted by NCO "pre-legal dept." in late January and told that I owe approximately $8k after finance charges. According to this representative I needed to immediately pay $5832 or face legal action including wage garnishment. This was on a Friday and I had until Monday to come up with the money or face a law suit. Of course, I didn't have this kind of money and resolved myself to declaring bankruptcy.

On Tuesday I received another call from NCO. This time from a different acct rep from another department. I explained the situation to this rep and we quickly agreed to terms. I would immediately pay $1K, send $100/month until June as good faith payments, and then $600/month until the $5832 balance was paid. I asked this rep to please contact the "pre-legal dept" and confirm that this arrangement was satisfactory. She responded by saying there was no need since everything was in the computer. Not trusting the computer, I called the first acct rep and told her voice mail about the arrangement and the name/phone of the second acct rep.

I kept my end of this agreement. I've paid the $1k and the $100/ month.

Today, I'm contacted by the original acct rep and was notified that the arrangement is not acceptable! I must now immediately pay $3900 or face law suit. No amount of argument was going to disuade this rep!

After this conversation, I came to the conclusion that the first acct rep is insane! I'd already agreed to pay 73% of the original balance. But this rep wants me to pay 50% immediately. Which of course will mean that I declare bankruptcy and NCO receives pennies on the dollar?!?!

So here's the questions I have.

- Do I have any legal standing regarding the original arrangements made with the second acct rep?
- Should I try to get this acct returned to Capital One and then attempt to make arrangements?
- Should I contact Capital One directly and find the NCO Liason and explain the situation? It seems that Capital One would be more than happy to settle for 50-73% of the balance.
- I want to send a Cease & Desist letter. Should I also include a Debt Validation in this letter? Or will this cause NCO to file suit?
- I recently moved and have misplaced all of my Capital One acct info. How do I find out when the Statute of Limitations clock began? Will Capital One provide this info?

Thanks!

BamRam
State of Alabama

Last edited:

howard2

Nco

I recieved a similar call from NCO. They have had numerous complaints against them. Some are on Ripoff reports.com..

It appears that they may be using false, deceptive and misleading tactics to collect money from people.

Were you ever advised of your right to have the debt validated? Have you requested validation? If so, did you receive it?
You have a right to do this whether or not you owe a debt.

I can't advise you as to what you should do legally. However, we should keep in touch in the event of any future legal action to be taken against NCO via the FTC or States Attorney General's Office...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">