• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carguy22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
I have a case where a business offered me 50% partnership for x amount of money. I had them sign paperwork saying they had inventory valued at x amount and if i backed out i would get my investment plus interest that would be paid back within 12 months. Well things went ok for a few months and then I found they have debt problem they were hiding, among not collecting or reporting taxes, buying and selling precious scrap metal before the legal 30 day holding period was up, writing checks that were not good for items, then stalling people so they wouldn't go to the police, selling consignment items then stalling the owners to pay them back. I confronted him he admitted he had done those things, I talked with customers so I would not be held liable for his actions and was in the process of backing out through a lawyer when I was locked out of the business, it's been almost 10 months waiting for law enforcement to serve him papers for court.

My questions
1. How do I make sure he doesn't flee, or have friends/family hide or sell items before court ? I don't see the value in the store. Is there a way to put him in jail till all debt is collected , not debtor's prision, but flight risk, theft or hiding of property, fraud or something ?

2.He uses words to sway people to his side, attempts to guilt them, said untruths about me and my store that has hurt my business till I'm almost having to go to online sales. can he be made to not speak against me or my business , for that matter ever come around me after this ?

3. From what was originally told to me about the business , compared to what I found to be untrue, the amount the massive debts he had/ has and locking me out. Would charging him with fraud be acceptable action in court ? With his actions I was not treated like partner that he said I would be, only used for money till i became unuseful, he has only ignored me after locking me out.

Can I use this case to make sure he can no longer do business in the city,county or state ?

The case has taken so long, any evidence on servalience tapes would be gone, doubt any sales logs he didn't want law enforcement or tax person to see are gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">