• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice collecting judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carguy22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
It has been 3 months since i won my case against a former business partner and trying to decide how to collect my judgement.

1. For the store to be seized for my control and have things sold off the judge wants a bond and that I pay $5,000 that I don't have to spend. If I understand correctly I don't get that back and I don't know if I would be allowed to take it from the stores contents and that is if the inventory can even add up to cover lawyers fees and my judgement.
2. Having the Sheriff's department seize and sell the stores contents.
The contents of the store is mostly currency, stamps, coins, gold and silver.

I really just want this over with and is there is anything I can do to get around paying the bond or something else ? Soon as the store is seized the guy will more likely take what he can and run.

adjusterjack

Sometimes judgments aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Have you checked with a bonding company? The cost of a bond is usually a fraction of its face value.

Is the judgment against him personally or against the business name or both?

Have you considered levying bank accounts?

Consider recording the judgment so it becomes a lien on any real property that judgment debtor owns.

Carguy22

It's both against the guy and business, the business is easiest thing to collect from it's local and accessible where he lives is not. Accounts are wothless, $5,000 is the fraction of the bond, the guy is not honest at all and is more likely to lie about missing items or consignment items , law enforcement knows about him for complaints writing people bad checks for buying items and stalling to buy the check back before people go to the police. The police couldn't do anything but would like to see him gone and I tried to warn customers but whatever he told them, they went back like lambs to slaughter. He is good at deciving people and among other things he has done I would like to know how he is still in business and not in jail. A guy has been sent with the legal paper work to collect my security cameras and property that was part of the judgement today or when he shows up. He contacted me about picking the items up before or after store hours when nobody is around also normally has 3 loaded firearms in the store. He didn't even fight the case or show up to court but still runs the store like nothing is wrong.

adjusterjack

Sounds like he's made himself judgment proof.

Sorry I don't have any magic for you. I was burned a few times by tenants who went through life like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">