• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help ASAP-Credit Card Judgement Suit Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blarson24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I was out of work last year and got behind on a couple credit cards. They have gone to collections and now I'm being sued for a judgement for them both. I have to answer one of them by friday, which explains the urgency.

My first question is, if I don't answer, does that shorten the amount of time before they will get a court date and get a judgment, or will it take the same amount of time to go to court whether I answer or not? If I try to settle at some point I want to save the $450 dollars it will cost me to file the 2 answers.

Second question, what is the typically amount of time right now for a case to go to court to get the judgement and start garnishing wages and bank accounts?

Third question, I heard they can garnish my wages 25% of gross income, but if there are 2 suits, how can they both garnish 25%? I wouldn't be able to survive.

How do they find out who my employer is and what my bank accounts are to start garnishing them?

Last one, if I chose to file BK, and I have an investment account that I got the money for from a loan, would I be in danger of losing the money in that account?

Thanks you so much in advance for any advice. It is very much appreciated.

nrknlknek

Question 1: If you don't answer, they will enter judgment plus possibly hold you in contempt, so advise you to answer.

Question 2: Hard to be precise, but you would be looking at weeks, not months.

Question 3: They can garnish 25% for each creditor. States vary on this, so check CA law, but typically it is 25% of disposable income, not gross; so you are lookig at 50% of your disposable income. There may be an annual cap in CA. I don't know.

Question 4: They will do a debtors examination.

Question 5: Cannot answer based on information provided, but generally in BK, you forfeit any assets that are not exempt in exchange for discharge from your creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">