• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

negotiator scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2old2broke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS
I have a judgment thats 6 years old, i am unemployed, I found a negotiator to help settle it, I got money from friend to do this, but its been 5 months now and nothing done. I paid the negotiator/company their fee and the amount they said the creditor/lawyers would settle for and I do have receipts for it. When it took so long, I finally asked the company to return my settlement money from the escrow they had it in knowing I would probably not get their fee part returned. I was told the money had been released "yesterday" (being 9/10/09) and should be getting all done and paperwork soon. I believe I am getting the run-around, its definately passed the 20 days that I should have had the satisfaction of judgment. Now what- do I notify my AG, file a small claim? Should I contact the original attorney/collector again and advise of this to get the money paid for them to this enforcer for them to go after the enforcer/negotiator? I cannot afford an attorney right now and need some advice.

JETX

do I notify my AG, file a small claim? Should I contact the original attorney/collector again and advise of this to get the money paid for them to this enforcer for them to go after the enforcer/negotiator?
First, do you have their settlement offer in WRITING??
Second, if so, then contact the attorney or the creditor and find out if the 'negotiator' was authorized to negotiate the settlement.
If they were, then provide the attorney or creditor with a copy of the settlement offer and proof of payment, and ask that they sign and send you a 'Satisfaction of Judgment'.

If they weren't authorized... then you need to contact the police about the fraud.

2old2broke

thankyou for your help. In being authorized to negotiate the settlement, do you mean authorized by the creditor/collection attorney? I tried to settle myself with collection attorney but the collector kept upping the amount and changing the terms so I found a judgment help settlement negotiator and went into their office, filled out paperwork and they took over and then contacted me advising me of what the collector would settle for, which was the amount I then took in to them to be held in escrow until original paperwork was received by them to release the money for satisfaction of judgment. I did get receipts for all monies paid in. Company is registered with bbb, but i am sure that means nothing really and as of yet there are no complaints at bbb, again does not mean they aren't scamming me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">