• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No receipt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnz28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

I had some work done to my car a little over 2 years ago. The shop never gave me an invoice and I never got any receipts. When I paid for the work, and got my car back from the shop everything was fine. I have been there since (just shooting the breeze with the owner and some friends there) and nothing has been said about me owing any money. The shop has been in pretty bad shape recently and they have been "getting their records up to date". The owner had locked the computer on my car from being edited without a password. He didn't tell me this when he worked on it. I contacted him to get this fixed and he told me that I owed him $2500 dollars that was never paid off. He gave me invoices that showed me paying some money, but nowhere near the amounts that I actually paid him. What do I do? Can he actually turn me over to collections or take me to court?

First of all, take your vehicle to the dealership and have them do a reset on the computer. He thinks he can maintain control of your vehicle, but he can't, and he's relying on that to get that money out of you.

If he decides to take you to Court, just go in with your receipt from having to have the computer reset as his attempt to extort money from you, explain your case, and go home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">