• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice Of Appearance As Additional Counsel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ensoul

Florida

I just received one in the mail from a creditor. There is no file number or hearing date listed. What does it mean? What should I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Florida

I just received one in the mail from a creditor. There is no file number or hearing date listed. What does it mean? What should I do?
It sounds to me like the creditor is adding an additional attorney. I would suggest that you discuss this with the attorney that you have retained (assuming that you have been sued.)

Since we can't see the document that you are referring to, we can only guess at what it is and what it means based on what you have told us.

Have you been sued recently?

Presumably the "Notice Of Appearance As Additional Counsel" that you refer to is a legal filing and the plaintiff in a civil case that was filed against you is notifying you that they have added an additional attorney to represent them. It should have, at the top, the name of the court that it was filed in, the name of the plaintiff, the name of the defendant, and the court docket number. It is also customary to provide contact information for the new "additional counsel".

single317dad

We'll also need more information. Have you been sued? If you're not aware of any lawsuit, you should check your local court records carefully. It's possible the complaint itself was "lost" (served by leaving at residence and blew away in the wind, sent to wrong address, etc) but you've received this update. This would not be a rare occurrence.

If you haven't been sued, sending you some trumped up notification of entering appearance for additional counsel would be a very sketchy move (a threat, basically).

If you have been sued, prepare your defense. Usually, though, this is more an issue of "replacement" than "addition".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">