• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice & Collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Triskel3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

In short: I received a letter in the mail on 7/14 saying that if I do not contact the business by 7/20 they will put me into collections. I am curious to know what the law is between notice and being placed into collections, 5 business days seems a bit short.

Further: I have been planning to move out of the country, I informed my apartment managers verbally but at that time it was informal and not a 30 day notice. When I did give them a 30 day notice no one was in the office and I left them the note with my months rent. It was my fault I did not check up with them, they had also sent a notice claiming to not have received my rent payment but then cashed it. I figured they just misplaced it, so if they received and potentially misplaced my rent check then I figured the same must have happened to the 30 day notice. So I am surprised to get a letter in the mail stating that I am being charged 1400.00 for June and July though rent is 670.00 so technically it'd be 1340.00. But I have a confirmation with my bank that rent was taken out for June so I shouldn't be charged twice for that month.

Am I out of luck seeing that I do not have any writing confirmation that they received my 30 day notice? I have no doubt that I am, though my primary question is what is the time frame someone can put you into collections over something even though this would be my first notice?

JETX

In short: I received a letter in the mail on 7/14 saying that if I do not contact the business by 7/20 they will put me into collections. I am curious to know what the law is between notice and being placed into collections, 5 business days seems a bit short.
There is no restriction. The creditor can put you 'in collections' that day after you breach your contract.

I have been planning to move out of the country, I informed my apartment managers verbally but at that time it was informal and not a 30 day notice. When I did give them a 30 day notice no one was in the office and I left them the note with my months rent. It was my fault I did not check up with them, they had also sent a notice claiming to not have received my rent payment but then cashed it. I figured they just misplaced it, so if they received and potentially misplaced my rent check then I figured the same must have happened to the 30 day notice. So I am surprised to get a letter in the mail stating that I am being charged 1400.00 for June and July though rent is 670.00 so technically it'd be 1340.00. But I have a confirmation with my bank that rent was taken out for June so I shouldn't be charged twice for that month.
Okay???

Am I out of luck seeing that I do not have any writing confirmation that they received my 30 day notice?
Unless they admit the 30 day WRITTEN notice, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">