• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Levy under Writ of Execution (Money Judgement)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cp0654

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a Notice of Levy which was sent on 12/18/08. The Plaintiff is Resurgence Financial LLC. The Garnishee is Washington Mutual Bank. My checking account was with Chase and I guess, due to their take over of Washington Mutual they were able to access my account. My account was frozen that same weekend. I quickly changed my direct deposit to another bank account, but now my account at Chase is sitting at a negative balance.

My question is:

Should I contact Resurgence Financial to arrange payments or should I just keep depositing money into my account until it's paid off?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a Notice of Levy which was sent on 12/18/08. The Plaintiff is Resurgence Financial LLC. The Garnishee is Washington Mutual Bank. My checking account was with Chase and I guess, due to their take over of Washington Mutual they were able to access my account. My account was frozen that same weekend. I quickly changed my direct deposit to another bank account, but now my account at Chase is sitting at a negative balance.

My question is:

Should I contact Resurgence Financial to arrange payments or should I just keep depositing money into my account until it's paid off?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! :)
They didn't use their right of set off, your account has actually been levied, hence the notice of levy. The funds you had in the account ~ you can kiss goodbye.

You will find yourself in a much better position (you might be able to sleep at night without wondering if you should keep your money under your mattress) if you call the judgement creditor.

Attempt to negotiate a resolution. If you don't they will find where you bank, they will find where you work ~ they will get their money.

cp0654

hi, Wirelessany1! thanks for your help.

is the judgement creditor the same as the garnishee? or is it the plaintiff?
i'm just not sure who i should call??

cp0654

ok, so i did some research and figured out who original creditor is. it's chase!
the amount past due on my credit report is: $1600,
the amount of the judgement is: $2000.

a couple more questions:

now that they have frozen my account, do you think i still have some "wiggle room" to negotiate the balance down?

also, how should i go about this? should i just call chase and say i want to negotiate a lump sum payment?

thanks again!! :)

knead to know

Notice of Levy

My daughter got a Notice of Levy in California for about $6,000. She moved to Montana. The levy is on any checking or savings accounts with her social security number. She's a fulltime student, so I think she makes about $500 or so a month.
2 questions: can she make an exemption?
: also, can the levy collection on a checking account she starts in Montana?

quincy

My daughter got a Notice of Levy in California for about $6,000. She moved to Montana. The levy is on any checking or savings accounts with her social security number. She's a fulltime student, so I think she makes about $500 or so a month.
2 questions: can she make an exemption?
: also, can the levy collection on a checking account she starts in Montana?
knead to know, FA prefers that visitors posting questions to this forum start their own threads instead of tacking their questions onto an old (in this case a four year old) thread.

When you start your own thread please do as you did here and include the name of your state. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">