• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nursing home debt for deceased father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpw2006

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

My father died in October 2005. He had a balance owed to the nursing home he lived in. He had Medicaid but they say they paid what they owed based on his income.
Medicaid based payments on Social Security he should have received however SS withheld payments for 2 years to repay previous overpayment by SS to my father.
The nursing home is now sending me the bill. I never signed admittance paperwork for my father.
Will I have to pay the nursing home?

seniorjudge

jpw2006 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

My father died in October 2005. He had a balance owed to the nursing home he lived in. He had Medicaid but they say they paid what they owed based on his income.
Medicaid based payments on Social Security he should have received however SS withheld payments for 2 years to repay previous overpayment by SS to my father.
The nursing home is now sending me the bill. I never signed admittance paperwork for my father.
Will I have to pay the nursing home?
Tell the nursing home to bite rocks.

Tell them it was pa's bill and pa's dead, so don't bother me no more!

zippysgoddess

Listen to Judgey! You are not responsible, it is a frequent tactic to try and scare surviving spouses or children into taking responsibility and paying it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">