• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old credit card judgement and now disabled.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DemoSTL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Back in 2004 I had a judgement for credit card debt, I made small payments for several years until I became disabled. I am in the long appeals process for disability and I just received a letter that another attorney has entered appearance for the debt. I'm at a loss on what to do. Should I contact the attorney and explain my situation? Please help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Back in 2004 I had a judgement for credit card debt, I made small payments for several years until I became disabled. I am in the long appeals process for disability and I just received a letter that another attorney has entered appearance for the debt. I'm at a loss on what to do. Should I contact the attorney and explain my situation? Please help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The creditor can still attach your assets; what they CANNOT do is garnish SSI and/or SSDI.

However - if you deposit those monies into a bank account containing other funds, that bank account can be levied and you'll have to go through the trouble of proving that the monies were SSI/SSDI.

DemoSTL

That part I understand. I have no real property or anything to levy other than a bank account with 8 bucks in it, however, should I contact the attorney or just ignore him? I'm thinking they probably wont believe me anyway....right?

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">