• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lizette

What is the name of your state? Florida
Should I ever remarry can my bad debts/judgements affect my spouse's credit? Would he become liable for these debts via marriage?

My bad debts are credit card balances. One has filed for and received a judgement against me last year.

What is the SOL in Florida? How long will the judgement stay on my record?

I have no assets except my car which I have title to. Which brings up another question...is my automobile safe from collectors?

Last edited:

Kanchazi

What is the name of your state? Florida
Should I ever remarry can my bad debts/judgements affect my spouse's credit? Would he become liable for these debts via marriage?

My bad debts are credit card balances. One has filed for and received a judgement against me last year.

What is the SOL in Florida? How long will the judgement stay on my record?

I have no assets except my car which I have title to. Which brings up another question...is my automobile safe from collectors?

It will only affect you and your husband if you try to buy something together otherwise no.
Debts and Judgments before marriage, cannot be brought upon your husband. Plus Florida is not a comunity state.

SOL is 5 years for written contracts and 4 years for open accounts.
Judgments are for 10 years with a renewal of another 10 years.

Cars are only exempt up to a certain amount , it depends how much the car is worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">