• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old judgement - spouse liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sillygirl1111

What is the name of your state? Illinois/New Mexico

Hello! I just got a letter from an attorney trying to collect a 1998 (I actually remember this being in 1996) judgement from my old landlord (New Mexico). I was frightened, young and poor and I never showed up to court or paid him the approximately $1000 I owed. He is now demanding $3800 (including interest) in one week or he will take further action. I am currently unemployed or I would just pay him the money immediately. Before I contact his attorney to try and set up a payment plan, I need to know if he is going to threaten to sue my husband (we married in 2004 and currently live in Illinois) for this money. Everything we have is in his name, not mine. Are my husbands assets in jeapordy? I would rather take care of this problem on my own - my problem, my responsibility!

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

JETX

Before I contact his attorney to try and set up a payment plan, I need to know if he is going to threaten to sue my husband (we married in 2004 and currently live in Illinois) for this money.
Of course, no one can guess whether he is going to threaten, or what he might threaten. HOWEVER, if he were to try to sue your husband... he has no case against him.

Everything we have is in his name, not mine.
Gee... isn't that convenient?? :D

Are my husbands assets in jeapordy?
No.

I would rather take care of this problem on my own - my problem, my responsibility!
Gee... that should be pretty easy to do... just ask your husband for a loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">