• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Utility Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfryfive0

What is the name of your state? Tn My wife had a utility account in her name opened up in 1994. Four years later we met and were unltimately married. In 1999, she filed for Bankruptcy in her name. Her utility account was omited from the Bankruptcy filing. They in turn reported it on my credit report for the amount of $607. I recently disputed this on my credit report twice and both times they maintained that I was responsible for the debt. I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint against the utility company and 3 days later, they transferred that $607 ballance owed by my now wife onto my current account. My current account is solely in my name and was in good standing. My wife's account was solely in her maiden name, using her credit information for the contract. :confused: Does the utility company have the legal right to make me obligated for an account she opened up prior to our marraige? If so, what is the legal basis?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">