• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this an Open account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I found this site: http://www.bcsalliance.com/debt1_indiana.html

And on there it says this: STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS FOR ENFORCEMENT:

Open Account (credit card): 6 years
Written contract for payment of money: 6 years
Written Contract (other than payment of money): 10 years
Written Contract (sale of goods): 4 years
Domestic Judgment: 10 years (property); 20 years (personal)
Foreign Judgment: 10

My question is, would utility bills be consider an open account? I received a letter from a company the other day saying they recieved this debt.. etc.. the standard offering a pay off.. etc. I believe this is a debt that the last payment couldn't have been made past March of 2000. That would indicate this is expired correct? I also have something on my credit from a Fingerhut back in 1998... is would be a written contract correct? Should I write a cease letter to both companies or deal with the credit companies??

A few years ago I contacted a company in which was showing on my credit from a debt 14 years prior and had absolutely no problem taking it off, however these aren't quite that old and I want to assure the SOL has ran out prior to contact since they are so close. I have worked on many of my accounts and slowly but surely getting my credit looking better and better..don't want to do anything to mess it up again.

I believe that both would be considered Open accounts. I know that medical bills are open accounts, also. You may want to make sure by checking with a credit counseling service, or by contacting the collections departments at the utility and Fingerhut. (That's how I found out medical bills were considered open accounts.)

HappyHusband

I believe that both would be considered Open accounts. I know that medical bills are open accounts, also. You may want to make sure by checking with a credit counseling service, or by contacting the collections departments at the utility and Fingerhut. (That's how I found out medical bills were considered open accounts.)
(That's how I found out medical bills were considered open accounts.)

By contacting the hospital collections department?

tigger22472

Thanks. If that's the case I have a few more that should fall off soon. I was pretty irresponsible when I was younger and really paid for it. Now it's a matter of getting it back on track.. it's taken a while but it's working!!

megabux

Thanks. If that's the case I have a few more that should fall off soon. I was pretty irresponsible when I was younger and really paid for it. Now it's a matter of getting it back on track.. it's taken a while but it's working!!
Excuse me? Waiting for SOLs ain't my idea of responsibility

megabux

Excuse me? Waiting for SOLs ain't my idea of responsibility!

tigger22472

Excuse me? Waiting for SOLs ain't my idea of responsibility!
When I'm paying off the later stuff at least I'm paying on something, which is more than I cared about before. When I got it rough and something went in default, it just went in default. Fingerhut is the only thing other than utility or medical on there... could be much much worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">