+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    overdue medical bills

    What is the name of your state? NJ

    I was admitted to hospital recently and had gallbladder surgery.I am a new immigrant, and do not have insurance, so I was approved for charity care, and my doctor was my cousin who was nice enough not to charge me.

    I got bills from the emergency room physician, and the anesthesia associates, plus a lab fee and an EKG fee.

    I am currently unemployed. The lab transferred my account to a collection agency without even teling me first; and the others are saying they are going to do that.

    What is my best course of action. how can I set up payment plans? Will this have a bad effect on my credit report?

    Any ideas will be appreciated.

  2. #2


    I once had the same situation, and as long as you send them some money they won't send it to collections. But you have to keep sending them money on a regular basis. You have to be fast, because I've noticed a lot of NJ hospitals send thing straight to collections after 30 days.
    You might be able to avoid the one collection agency, if you pay the whole bill or majority directly to the original creditor, now.
    One tip...Pay by a US postal Svc Money order. Or another one that has a carbon copy. Fill it out completely and be sure to note the account number.
    This way, you have proof that you sent the money and you don't have to worry about these yucky collectors getting a hold of your bank account number.
    Good luck

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:43 AM
  2. Medical Bills
    By porcelina68 in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2004, 01:21 PM
  3. husband liable for his wife's overdue bills?
    By woodman110 in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 09:51 AM
  4. Estate ,overdue bills??
    By JR329 in forum Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2001, 10:58 AM
  5. overdue bills
    By sadparent in forum Divorce, Separation & Annulment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2001, 02:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.