• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overpayment by management company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunlitbrit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I had a rental property in Florida and have just been notified that the management company who looked after my property for me say that they made an overpayment to me two years ago.

They say that they only just realised this because they have had a tax audit and want their money back.

I terminated my agreement with them over 12 months ago and they told me that I had cleared my account.

Do I have to repay the overpayment because they are being really nasty about it.

Thanks

racer72

If there was an underpayment, would you not want your money? It's not your money and you should pay it back.

LdiJ

If there was an underpayment, would you not want your money? It's not your money and you should pay it back.
I agree with one proviso...they should be made to prove the error. OP should not just blindly accept this without proof.

racer72

I agree with one proviso...they should be made to prove the error. OP should not just blindly accept this without proof.
The OP never stated he did not receive the overpayment. The fact he/she is questioning whether is has to be repaid is a pretty fair admission of guilt.

LdiJ

The OP never stated he did not receive the overpayment. The fact he/she is questioning whether is has to be repaid is a pretty fair admission of guilt.
Guilt? I think that is a strong word to use. I am simply saying that he should not blindly believe them that he was overpaid.

single317dad

Of course, since OP had this company managing his rental property only 1 year ago, a brief internal audit of his own records should clearly reveal any under- or overpayment.

LdiJ

Of course, since OP had this company managing his rental property only 1 year ago, a brief internal audit of his own records should clearly reveal any under- or overpayment.
Maybe, it depends on repairs and other expenses the management company was handling. The most likely error would have been the management company handling a repair and then neglecting to attach it to the OP's account, therefore not deducting it from a payment to the OP. If the management company didn't notify the OP of the repair either, then an internal audit of his own wouldn't show anything.

racer72

Maybe, it depends on repairs and other expenses the management company was handling. The most likely error would have been the management company handling a repair and then neglecting to attach it to the OP's account, therefore not deducting it from a payment to the OP. If the management company didn't notify the OP of the repair either, then an internal audit of his own wouldn't show anything.
Lot of hypothetical assumptions among the peanut gallery.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">