• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid a collection account off, now agency wants more

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glorify

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Last year my wife sent a payment to RMA to settle an old credit card account. It was by the beyond the SOL, which we didn't know. She sent it based off a letter sent by RMA offering to settle.

I get a call today from them stating that there was only $15.00 paid. I told them I'd call them back and I had paid it off last year. When we bought our home in January, it was not on my credit report.

Found the check dating back to 8-04. Called RMA back and the agent mysteriously found the amount for the $370 settlement BUT they had made an agreement to settle on 6-30 for that amount (with a form letter), the due date was 7-24, and they received the payment 8-26.

I know if I was settling an account, it wouldn't have been late.

This is the first time they have contacted me since payment and they now want roughly $1000 to settle the account AGAIN.

My question: Since the SOL was probably renewed with that payment and I assume they have bought the debt, do I dispute the charges or how would I go forward.

Someone please answer, I know it was a long read.

Paid a collection account off...

I'm in Ohio, but, as a former debt collector I can tell you first, when you pay a collection account that was outside of the s.o.l, it starts the s.o.l anew all over again.

Do you have the orginal offer letter, and anything showing proof that is was paid in full? If you do, great.

Tell them you want a demand letter. (That's the letter they send telling you that you owe the debt and give you 30 days to dispute.) When you get it, respond in writing that you dispute. I know it's easier to call, etc...but nothing beats proof in writing. They have to prove you still owe the debt, ie, validate it. It's quite possible, more often than note, that it's a case of sloppy work on their part. How'd you pay the account off? Check? Money order? If you paid buy check, and thought enough to mark "account paid in full," that's good news too.

BTW...credit bureaus only update an average of 3-4 times a year, so, you may have just lucked out when you brought your house.

Good luck.

Joe V

Another option

yes to the reaging by the payment. and you are stuck. However good advice from Lotsoul23 and I will add that for such a small amount it is highly unlilely that this agency will take you to court. DO NOT OFFER them any compromise as they could use this language to "re-age" your account. Simply swamp them with challenges and allow your statute to toll. Stand by your proof, you have your house...ignore them and make it your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">