• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A paid something I didn't owe - I want my money back!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waterparkchick

I paid something I didn't owe - I want my money back!

What is the name of your state? CA
When I moved from TX to CA 2 years ago, I paid the remainder of apartment lease but did not physically stay in the apt. Then the complex said I never paid them and sent me to collections. I had no proof of payment (as I had used a money order) and felt threatened by the collection agency. The amount of rent they said I owed was $535 plus a lot more for "fees." The total was around $1500 dollars. Because they kept harrassing me and threating to ruin my rental and credit histories, I got on a payment plan and paid $700. Shortly after that I found a reciept for my original payment (issued by the apt complex.) I faxed the agency the letter/receipt and they said they would stop collections, and clear my credit. They were "checking into" giving my money back. Now my agent has left the company and I can't get any response. The item is listed unpaid on my credit report and I am still $700 poorer! What should I do? Who do I contact??? Please help!

Last edited:

JETX

waterparkchick said:
What should I do?
That depends largely on what you HAVE done???
If you haven't put your 'refund demand' in writing (sent Certified RRR), that would be your FIRST step.

Who do I contact???
The reporting debt collector AND the original creditor would be a good start, wouldn't you think??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">