• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent Plus Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proserpina

She's a senior in college, obviously not able to pay her mom back yet, esp. in this economy hard on college grads. She's on a legal forum asking what can happen to her mom (who wanted to help her get thru college) and some of you insult her? Why are you on this forum? I hope you don't treat people like that in you're daily life or you'll wind up getting you're butt kicked some day. Really? High school level mentality and insults.
Is that a threat?

Let me explain some home truths to you.

Out of all the volunteers who regularly post, we have amongst them:

Widows
Parents of deceased children
Abuse survivors
Single parents
Foster parents
Most other type of parent
Caregivers who have nursed a loved one through the dying process
People who have lost money to worthless ingrates who ripped them off
Attorneys
LEOs
At least one retired judge
Father's Rights Activists
People who volunteer outside of their own home - often to assist those with little to zero other resources.

Now. Don't you DARE presume to know the backgrounds, experience and motives of any other person than your good self. Because if you don't knock it off, you will be bounced from every worthwhile legal forum on the 'Net.

And that IS a promise.

Are we all on the same page now? Good.

I'mTheFather

She's a senior in college, obviously not able to pay her mom back yet, esp. in this economy hard on college grads. She's on a legal forum asking what can happen to her mom (who wanted to help her get thru college) and some of you insult her? Why are you on this forum? I hope you don't treat people like that in you're daily life or you'll wind up getting you're butt kicked some day. Really? High school level mentality and insults.
I believe I can answer why OP received the responses he did.

Yes, he is a senior in college and can't begin to pay the loans off. However, if you read his original post, you'll see that he knows his mother took out the loans with the expectation that he would pay them. He's graduating in a year and is already considering how he can get by without paying them. He suggests that she can simply not pay either.

He knows her credit will be in the toilet since he made the statement that she'll have "no need for credit going forward." Of course, he's not considering that her "crappy car" may die and she'll need a replacement. He's not considering that she may have to go through a bankruptcy. He's not considering that she may have to deal with bill collectors. He acknowledges that she lives a "difficult lifestyle" and doesn't seem at all concerned that he will add to the difficulty.

Yes, maybe he's just an immature young man.... Or maybe he's just selfish.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I'm currently about to start my senior year of college. My mother has been taking out Parent Plus loans in her name to get me through under the impression that I will be paying them back. She'll have about $32k when it's all said and done.

She has no significant assets--lives in an apartment, with a crappy car. Makes about $15,000 a year. Difficult lifestyle, but she makes due. Almost nothing saved for retirement. No need for credit going forward.

What would be the consequences of her not paying the loans? There's nothing to take, correct, since she lives around the poverty level. Could she live with the loans in a state of default for the rest of her life and just not pay anything?
And to jjdresselhaus, is this what you've learned in that university your mother paid for? Is that what she expected you to learn? Does your scheme fit the mission you're expected to follow?

Last edited:

jjdresselhaus

I'm looking for a "what-if" scenario. Like I said, I have no intention of hanging her out to dry. If this were to take place, I would be assisting her economically as well. You all seem to think I'm just selfish and want to get out, when in reality, the economy sucks and not all of us are privileged enough to not have to play worst case scenario games.

Proserpina

I'm looking for a "what-if" scenario. Like I said, I have no intention of hanging her out to dry. If this were to take place, I would be assisting her economically as well. You all seem to think I'm just selfish and want to get out, when in reality, the economy sucks and not all of us are privileged enough to not have to play worst case scenario games.

That's really not even close to how it was presented, but okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">