• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partial Payment After a Small Claims Default Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJ333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi,

I received a Small Claims Default Judgment against an apartment complex that unfairly denied my application and then kept my deposit. I have recorded the abstract of judgement with the county. The judgement is for 3X the deposit amount, plus fees. A year later, a month after the judgment date, they sent me a check for the original deposit amount as if nothing had happened. Am I free and clear to deposit the check? How should I then reference that "payment" when attempting to collect the "balance"?

Thank you

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hi,

I received a Small Claims Default Judgment against an apartment complex that unfairly denied my application and then kept my deposit. I have recorded the abstract of judgement with the county. The judgement is for 3X the deposit amount, plus fees. A year later, a month after the judgment date, they sent me a check for the original deposit amount as if nothing had happened. Am I free and clear to deposit the check? How should I then reference that "payment" when attempting to collect the "balance"?

Thank you
A partial payment does not make the judgment go away so I would go ahead and cash the check. When you attempt to collect the balance just reference the new balance due.

DJ333

Levying their bank account would work well too.
Thanks everyone - I deposited the check. I could use clarification on something, isn't registering the abstract of judgment the same thing as placing a lean on the property? Could I levy a bank account for the business? What would be good next steps?

(I appreciate it, this is my first time navigating the small claims system)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">