• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay debt or take legal action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhoklaw

Wisconsin

Greetings everyone,

I have been dealing with a debt collection agency representing Sprint since Nov. 2004 and they have recently turned hostile.

IC Systems is trying to collect a debt which was inaccurate and now they are saying that because I failed to dispute it in writing, that the debt has become valid.

In November, IC Systems contacted me by phone asking me to pay a bill in the amount of $324 which Sprint has charged me. I found out that my actual bill of $99 was not received by Sprint in July 2004 and so I said I would pay that amount, but I would not pay the remaining balance.

I had activated my phone in July 2004 and deactivated it less then 2 weeks afterwards. The Sprint representative informed me my total bill was the original $99 for activation and normal monthly fees.

What happened was, Sprint left my phone active for 3-4 months after I had it canceled. At that point, with no payments, they finally turned it off and referred my debt to their collection agency.

I need to know if failing to respond to a letter within 30 days automatically makes a debt valid. For starters, I don't even recall getting the first couple letters from IC Systems, but I do know that I talked with them on the phone atleast once a month. Every phone conversation was the same, as I disputed the remaining portion of the bill.

If I went to court, would my disputes over the phone with IC Systems qualify, or am I screwed for not replying to some letter I probably threw away as junk mail?

Ladynred

I need to know if failing to respond to a letter within 30 days automatically makes a debt valid
NO! The FDCPA says that you have 30 days to dispute the validity of the debt and if you don't dispute it, then they can ASSUME the debt is valid. That doesn't make it a fact.

The problem is, you apparently haven't disputed IN WRITING, so you need to do so NOW. Send the CA a validation demand letter. You can find samples and info at www.creditinfocenter.com.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">