• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying debt in coins

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kungfu71186

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
AZ

I gathered up all the coins i had to pay off a 300 dollar debt. Went down to pay it off and they said they can't accept it as it is their policy not to accept cash. I found that funny as a few weeks earlier i had canceled a contract with them and the lady asked if i would like to pay in cash or check and i told her to send me a bill first. Anyway i called the police and to get this whole situation on record. I know that they do not have to accept cash if it is their policy, but would that be the same as refusing debt because i did try to pay it. I even offered to go to the bank with them to cash it out, but they said they would not touch the cash.

Would i be in the wrong to send them a certified letter stating i attempted to pay off all debts owed, but they refused; therefore, the debt is forfeited and no longer owed and also attach the police report to it?

I asked specifically about 20 times if they are refusing to accept my payment and they answered back with "yes, we cannot accept this payment as it is against our policy"

Again i understand they do not have to accept it, but does it mean i still owe it since they wouldn't. Its like any law, there are speed limits, but i can refuse to abide by them and speed anyway. Obviously there are consequences to my actions which may result in a speeding ticket.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Isis1

you've been watching Confessions Of A Shopaholic, haven't you?

good god man. just take your 300.00 in change, go to your local bank, and get a money order or cashier's check.....walk back into the debt office, and get RID OF YOUR DEBT!!!!

kungfu71186

I honestly do not know what that is. I figured whats a better way to get rid of my change than to pay off a debt to a company thats very unprofessional.

you've been watching Confessions Of A Shopaholic, haven't you?

good god man. just take your 300.00 in change, go to your local bank, and get a money order or cashier's check.....walk back into the debt office, and get RID OF YOUR DEBT!!!!

JETX

Would i be in the wrong to send them a certified letter stating i attempted to pay off all debts owed, but they refused; therefore, the debt is forfeited and no longer owed
Of course, you can send them any letter you want making any claims you want. And of course, they can still pursue your debt. The old story of a refused payment waives the obligation is not true.

justalayman

I gathered up all the coins i had to pay off a 300 dollar debt. Went down to pay it off and they said they can't accept it as it is their policy not to accept cash.
ya. there are a lot of dummies that think this is "showing them who's boss" until they find out the company does not have to accept the coins.

I found that funny as a few weeks earlier i had canceled a contract with them and the lady asked if i would like to pay in cash or check and i told her to send me a bill first
.so.

Anyway i called the police and to get this whole situation on record.
So you wasted taxpayers money because you want to be a jerk. Great.

I know that they do not have to accept cash if it is their policy, but would that be the same as refusing debt
absolutely not

because i did try to pay it I even offered to go to the bank with them to cash it out, but they said they would not touch the cash.
and that is their right. They can set the terms, not you.

Would i be in the wrong to send them a certified letter stating i attempted to pay off all debts owed, but they refused; therefore, the debt is forfeited and no longer owed and also attach the police report to it?
Would you be wrong? How can you be wrong? You can do it if you want. They might get a good laugh out of it, hopefully right before they sue you.

I asked specifically about 20 times if they are refusing to accept my payment and they answered back with "yes, we cannot accept this payment as it is against our policy"
so, did you ask what method of payment they would accept and did you offer to pay with that method? That would have solved the entire problem

Again i understand they do not have to accept it, but does it mean i still owe it since they wouldn't.
yes it does

Its like any law,
and the law says you owe the debt, they get to choose the manner of payment and that is all there is to worry about.

there are speed limits, but i can refuse to abide by them and speed anyway.
then look at the required method of payment as the speed limit. If you refuse to abide by the "speed limit" you are the one in the wrong, not the party that made the speed limit.

Obviously there are consequences to my actions which may result in a speeding ticket.
replace "speeding ticket" with law suit and you have answered all of your questions.

Thank you in advanced for your help.
You are welcome now go and pay your bill in a method the creditor deems appropriate.

Antigone*

As a banker I can tell you that cash is expensive to process. Yes we charge to take your cash.

I have a client that is a very cash intensive business. He sells wholesale corn to the "elote man." In Los Angeles it is very common to see a man pushing a cart down the street selling corn. Anyway, this client deposits thousands of dollars a week in quarters.

He was interested in buying a small forklift to move pallets and the caterpillar sales person came to pay him a visit. They were dying for the sale because business had been so slow. My client paid them $26,000 in quarters. I can tell you that is was worth the several hundred dollars it cost the forklift sales company to process the cash because he needed the sale so badly.

...the sales person had to call in a van and driver to pick up the payment:D

Isis1

As a banker I can tell you that cash is expensive to process. Yes we charge to take your cash.

I have a client that is a very cash intensive business. He sells wholesale corn to the "elote man." In Los Angeles it is very common to see a man pushing a cart down the street selling corn. Anyway, this client deposits thousands of dollars a week in quarters.

He was interested in buying a small forklift to move pallets and the caterpillar sales person came to pay him a visit. They were dying for the sale because business had been so slow. My client paid them $26,000 in quarters. I can tell you that is was worth the several hundred dollars it cost the forklift sales company to process the cash because he needed the sale so badly.

...the sales person had to call in a van and driver to pick up the payment:D
when that elote man come around again...can i have two? con todo, por favor? chile tambien!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">