• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for jewelry I never received.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justwondering_

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Please help!!!

Last June, my ex and I were talked into buying engagement rings (I know, stupid!!). I was young and dumb at the time so I put the rings in my name. We were told we could pick the rings up in a couple of weeks. I asked the lady "If something happen and I no longer want the rings, will I be able to just call and tell you that without being penalized?" and she said Yes. Long story short, we decided not to get the rings. I began to receive letters that I owed a balance to the company. I called and told them that I never got the rings so what am I paying for? The lady on the phone looked it up and said, "You are right. You dont have the rings." She told me that I had to come sign off the jewelry since I no longer wanted it. I told her I moved 2 hours away and asked if she could mail me the papers. She said she couldnt mail the papers. She said she could ship the rings closer to where I live and I can go sign off on them there. A couple of weeks later I received another letter. This letter had a lower balance then the first. I called and they informed me that the gentleman's ring had been picked up. They said the ring was picked up in June 2014. I told them that it wasnt picked up, but they kept insisting. I asked them if they could provide me an exact date and the signed paperwork showing it had been picked up with a receipt. They told me they did not have that information. When asked why, they said, "They shred their paperwork at the end of the year." I told them I refuse to pay for something that I never had. They ended up sending it to a debt collector. I will pay the balance because I do not want to ruin my credit, but why should I have to pay for something that I never picked up? And why is there no paperwork? Should I take them to court? The jewelry company will not even talk to me and the debt collectors are not helping me. They only want the money!!!

racer72

but why should I have to pay for something that I never picked up?
Because you signed a contract that stated you would pay for the merchandise.

Should I take them to court?
For what? So far you haven't lost anything. The only damages you have suffered are basically your fault.

single317dad

Engagement rings are mostly worthless. The jeweler knows they are worthless when they sell them. They got a sucker to sign a contract to purchase mostly worthless rings; why would they release you from that contract? They'll do everything in their power to make sure you pay for the rings and receive them. They don't want the worthless rings, and if you try to sell them yourself, you'll understand why.

Buy some rings from Craigslist next time. Pay a jeweler to verify they're not fake before paying. You'll save 50-90%.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Please help!!!

Last June, my ex and I were talked into buying engagement rings (I know, stupid!!). I was young and dumb at the time so I put the rings in my name. We were told we could pick the rings up in a couple of weeks. I asked the lady "If something happen and I no longer want the rings, will I be able to just call and tell you that without being penalized?" and she said Yes. Long story short, we decided not to get the rings. I began to receive letters that I owed a balance to the company. I called and told them that I never got the rings so what am I paying for? The lady on the phone looked it up and said, "You are right. You dont have the rings." She told me that I had to come sign off the jewelry since I no longer wanted it. I told her I moved 2 hours away and asked if she could mail me the papers. She said she couldnt mail the papers. She said she could ship the rings closer to where I live and I can go sign off on them there. A couple of weeks later I received another letter. This letter had a lower balance then the first. I called and they informed me that the gentleman's ring had been picked up. They said the ring was picked up in June 2014. I told them that it wasnt picked up, but they kept insisting. I asked them if they could provide me an exact date and the signed paperwork showing it had been picked up with a receipt. They told me they did not have that information. When asked why, they said, "They shred their paperwork at the end of the year." I told them I refuse to pay for something that I never had. They ended up sending it to a debt collector. I will pay the balance because I do not want to ruin my credit, but why should I have to pay for something that I never picked up? And why is there no paperwork? Should I take them to court? The jewelry company will not even talk to me and the debt collectors are not helping me. They only want the money!!!
When you pay the balance, go pick up the ring that you've paid for.

And a two hour trip in Bama is nothing. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">