• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying off a garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Em0867

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Credit card judgment
Approximately $13,000

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I have a judgment that I had planned on trying to settle but unfortunately, the garnishment has started before I got the chance to get the money together and begin the settlement offer.

Is there a chance that I could pay off the garnishment early? I'd like to end this; it's very stressful and I just want to be done with it all. I can't eat or sleep and my anxiety is through the roof.

I have the money finally to get it paid off. Anyone know if this is possible and where I begin? Any advice would be so appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Em

Em0867

Yes, you can do that.
Contact the plaintiff and offer payment in full.
Thank you so much for your response. A few questions though.

How will all that work if the garnishment has already begun? Can they stop the garnishment upon my request to pay it in full? I am assuming written correspondence is best correct?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you so much for your response. A few questions though.

How will all that work if the garnishment has already begun? Can they stop the garnishment upon my request to pay it in full? I am assuming written correspondence is best correct?
They're not going to stop it BEFORE you pay them in full...

Em0867

They're not going to stop it BEFORE you pay them in full...
I was concerned that I would pay if off but still have one more check garnished while payment crosses the mail. I imagine then wouldn't be in a big hurry to pay that money back to me.

Any suggestions for what to say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">