• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payment processor BOUNCED a check, am I responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chaosult

I live in Illinois.

So a check from the company I work for bounced. They use an intermediary processor that mails checks to me. This morning I received a call from someone at the head office of a chain of currency exchanges. He told me that they couldn't contact the payment processor after several attempts, so he had no choice but to call me.

Basically what he told me was that I am responsible for the bounced check ($1245 if that matters). If I don't pay them, they will be forced to take legal action.

So my question is, am I responsible for a check that the PAYMENT PROCESSOR bounced?

Why wouldn't the currency exchange sue them?

Thanks in advance

TigerD

We need a lot more info to be able to help you.

Are you the owner of this company?
Who is the payment processor and what is their relationship to you?

The short answer is yes - you are responsible. The party you were paying is not responsible for your choice of payment. But there is so much left unsaid, I think this is a case where we will be given info in drips.

DC

Chaosult

From the wording and tone of your post, it seems we are misunderstanding each other.

I am not the owner of the company I work for.

The processor is a small company called Zip Payments. I don't have much information on them, as I couldn't find anything out in my research.

They are simply an intermediary between the company I work for, and me. For reasons beyond my imagination, they don't pay their employees directly.

As far as I know, Zip Payments sole responsibility is to mail out checks. I didn't choose them as my payment method -- they were chosen for me.

So my question remains, am I responsible for a check that was MADE OUT TO ME, from the processor, that happened to bounce?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From the wording and tone of your post, it seems we are misunderstanding each other.

The processor is a small company called Zip Payments. I don't have much information on them, as I couldn't find anything out in my research.

They are simply an intermediary between the company I work for, and me. For reasons beyond my imagination, they don't pay their employees directly.

As far as I know, Zip Payments sole responsibility is to mail out checks. I didn't choose them as my payment method -- they were chosen for me.

So my question remains, am I responsible for a check that was MADE OUT TO ME, from the processor, that happened to bounce?
When you had them cash your check, you agreed to be responsible if they were not able to collect on the check.

seniorjudge

I agree with zig and dc...you are responsible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">