• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll Stopped Garnishment without a Court Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherrymishmash

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My ex lives in Virginia and has been paying Maintenance through court-ordered wage garnishments for 2 years. The garnishments suddenly stopped (he still has 2 years to pay) and when I called payroll the lady wouldn't give me any info and told me I had to find out on my own.
Two months later she FINALLY takes my call and I learn that my ex told her that his obligation was fulfilled and to stop the wage garnishments - and she did. By his word-of-mouth and no court order.

When I e-mailed her the orders she became super-nice and apologetic. She came up with all kinds of (lame) excuses and wanted to tack the money owed ($1500) to the end of the Orders. Hmm...no.

So now my questions are:

1) When she stopped the Court Order on her own, did she make her company liable for the money owed (and not my ex) since they violated an Order? (She wants to put pressure on the ex to re-pay)

2) She doesn't want her manager or higher-ups to know about this and I should 'give her time' as she has a few ideas. On one hand, I think the company should know her practices, but on the other hand if I can get the money back hassle-free I'd rather do that, BUT I'm afraid whatever she comes up with won't be legal. I just want the money owed me - she had no right to do what she did.

FYI - she did start the wage garnishments back up when I re-sent her the court orders and wage garnishment papers (forget the correct name)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">