• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the person I have a judgement against has moved out of state, what do I do now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmmcgar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? irrelevant

I received a judgement against someone in NC and had been unsuccessfully serving her with the Notice of Rights, come to find out that she has moved to NH. How do I get the process transferred to NH even though that's not where the initial judgement was from?

adjusterjack

The following website has the NH statute and offers a forms kit for domesticating the judgment in NH.

https://judgments.uslegal.com/foreign-judgements/new-hampshire-foreign-judgments-law/

However, before you decide to buy the kit I suggest you check with a NH court website (where your defendant lives) and see if forms and instructions are available online.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? irrelevant

I received a judgement against someone in NC and had been unsuccessfully serving her with the Notice of Rights, come to find out that she has moved to NH. How do I get the process transferred to NH even though that's not where the initial judgement was from?
Do your self a big favor and give up on the idea of trying to enforce your judgment through a court in New Hampshire. You don't want to be dealing with a court system 7 or 8 hundred miles distance from your home. And don't think for a minute that the judgment debtor couldn't drag you up there to defend the judgment against an assertion that the NC court lacked personal judgment over the defendant and thus it is not entitled to full faith and credit.

In stead turn it over to a collection agency and let them deal with it. Or if it is of an a substantial amount and there are assets of the debtor in that state, then see if you can find a NH attorney to take it on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">