• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal debt collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patient01

What is the name of your state? NJ
I've been trying to collect a $2,000 personal debt from an ex-bf for over 6 months now. We have no I.O.U. note but he has acknowledged the debt by e-mail and has been promising to pay (by e-mail and text) and now he is ignoring my calls. What is my recourse?

racer72

What do you want to do? You can file a small claims lawsuit. You will find books on the process at your local library or big box book seller. You can hire an attorney to sue the guy. Or you can find a guy named Vito, he hangs out at Joe's Bar down at the waterfront, he will collect whats owed for a percentage of the debt. If you go with Vito, you ex will be back on solid food in only a few months.

neener17

I would sue.. Why should an ex keep money that was not theirs from the first place?
it will cost you about $250-300 to file a suit in small claims. An attorney can handle this type of thing, but it will be more costly to go that way. Many times these cases are simple to resolve. If you have proof you loaned the money, that is all the Judge needs to see. Unless you have a signed agreement (on paper) stating you told the ex they did not have to re pay the money (and even if you did, it would probably not matter anyway). The courts would look at at like the original granter of the monies has every right to be repaid
THEIR MONEY. You have a good chance to recover the funds, but don't wait too long Remember SOL!

Betty

I think your best bet would be to sue. Normally, you can also sue for court costs & attorney's fees.

On a personal note, the x BF is a jerk for refusal to pay back your money. I wouldnt' let someone keep $2,000 of my hard earned money, it isn't right. Small claims is your best chance. I agree that if you can prove the transactions took place and none of the loan was paid back, you will win the case. The judge may make the x pay the money right there.. let us know the outcome if you pursue.:eek: :)

dbcooper

I would sue.. Why should an ex keep money that was not theirs from the first place?
it will cost you about $250-300 to file a suit in small claims. An attorney can handle this type of thing, but it will be more costly to go that way. Many times these cases are simple to resolve. If you have proof you loaned the money, that is all the Judge needs to see. Unless you have a signed agreement (on paper) stating you told the ex they did not have to re pay the money (and even if you did, it would probably not matter anyway). The courts would look at at like the original granter of the monies has every right to be repaid
THEIR MONEY. You have a good chance to recover the funds, but don't wait too long Remember SOL!
Can I ask you question as well?

My state is CA

What about my sister in law? I have written proof (via email) that she committed many times that she(alone) will shoulder all the money they owe me (5000 dollars)...I have also the bank remittance form that I sent all this money to her. Unfortunately, she and my brother separated. Now, she paid me 1800 dollars and told me that she does'nt want to pay me anymore. And that I should collect the rest to my brother. My brother does'nt live in the US. My sister in law is working here with their 3 kids (15 yrd old, 13 yr old and 5 yr old)...DO I have a case?

Last edited:

dbcooper

Since it was a loan, I'd take the email and the cancelled check to the court and sue in small claims!
I was thinking of that. I have all the proofs that she loaned money from me and proof via email that she commited to pay. But my problem is this: Will the court validate that she has to pay by herself or take into account that she and my brother have to both pay for it (like conjugal)? She's a single mom. Will the court take into account all that situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">