• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephaniewarren

I'm in Missouri and made a personal loan to someone. They made two delayed payments to me over two years after the loan was initiated. Does this extend the statute of limitations? They are now claiming they don't have to finish paying me off due to SOL.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Missouri and made a personal loan to someone. They made two delayed payments to me over two years after the loan was initiated. Does this extend the statute of limitations? They are now claiming they don't have to finish paying me off due to SOL.
When did you loan the person this money?

FlyingRon

Did you have a written contract? WRitten contracts for loans are good for 10 years in Missouri. Oral contacts, five.

adjusterjack

A statute of limitations is a time limit for filing a lawsuit. The SOL generally starts running at the breach of the agreement. When the breach occurred depends on the terms and conditions of the loan agreement.

In Missouri the SOL for the breach of a written agreement is 10 years:

516.110. Within ten years:
(1) An action upon any writing, whether sealed or unsealed, for the payment of money or property;
http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2015/title-xxxv/chapter-516/section-516.110/

For an unwritten agreement, it's 5 years.

516.120. Within five years:
(1) All actions upon contracts, obligations or liabilities, express or implied, except those mentioned in section 516.110,
http://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2015/title-xxxv/chapter-516/section-516.120/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">