• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal property in a repossessed vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shotgunsmitty

North Carolina.

My car got repossessed, and my personal property inside (valued at approx $500) is now still inside the car. I have made an appointment with the company to come reclaim my belongings, but I'm being told that I must pay a $50.00 "paperwork/filing" fee in order to get them back.

I feel this "fee" is wrong. They are effectively holding my belongings for ransom and denying my use of them. North Carolina law states (as I'm sure that most States do) that nobody can keep or sell belongings that are not theirs. The company has an inventory of what's inside (to include a glucose meter that is badly needed for a family diabetic) but refuses to allow me to recover my belongings until this fee is paid.

Yes, I can file in small claims court...for a filing fee of $86.00, and a 4-6 week court date. The $86 is certainly more than the $50.00 they're asking, but the 4-6 week court date is out of the question because that meter needs to be used every day.

My questions: First, has this ever been challenged and won in North Carolina?
Second, would showing up with a Sheriff's Deputy to obtain my property be a viable solution? I hate to "call the cops" on such a thing, but if this is what it takes to retrieve what is rightfully mine inside the car, then that's the option I'll take.
Third, what options do I have? Redeeming the car is not an option at this point due to extortionistic "storage" fees and such.

Thanks for your help.

Antigone*

Yeah this fee is pretty standard in the industry, just have to bite the bullet and pay it.
I see this type of fee as very similar to an NSF fee. It is a completely voluntary fee ~ one that you never ever should have to pay IF you handle your finances as agreed:D

TigerD

But question becomes the difference between picking up left behind CDs and the company withholding the return of a medically necessary device. There comes a time when reason must enter into a situation.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">