• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Bill Collections?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a_girl

What is the name of your state? Washington

Currently, I'm in the middle of paying off one collection agency who is acting on behalf of a credit card company and am nearly finished paying off the debt. Although, that is not the problem as these agents have been very helpful and kind as well as patient and I've done my best to be a good customer to them.

This is not my problem, however. My problem is an old long distance phone bill from 2003. I had every intention to pay it off once I make it through these next three months of financial difficulties, which would leave me with only the dreaded student loans.

Anyhow, a collection agency has contacted me by mail on their behalf. I phoned them and attempted to set up a payment plan of some sort; but what I offered wasn't to their liking and the phone call ended with them basically making me out to be a thief, typical scare tactics, and me hanging up in tears.

Now, I don't want to blow this bill off; but what can I do? They don't want to accept my payment plans and want payments that I cannot afford in any way. (They want payments that come to over three quarters of my income)

I've been advised to ask for their supervisor and attempt to set up payments through them; but the last time I did that the supervisor was more verbally abusive than the staff.

Also, I'm starting to become a little suspicious because they have made no attempt to contact me over the past two weeks either by mail or by phone and when I was talking to them, they incorrectly stated the dates from which this bill came, saying that it was in 2005.

Any advice as to what I should do would be helpful in any way. As of right now, I'm completely lost. I thought that, maybe, I should just mail them a payment that I can afford every month.

Anyway, thank you for any help you can give me...

justalayman

The first thing I think you should do is read the FDCPA. If you are being abused per the FDCPA, there are a few things you can do and the FDCPA tells you all of that info.

Next, realize the creditor does not have to accept anything less than payment in full if they do not want to. The have the right to sue you if you fail to pay in full and then utilize any leagl means to collect the judgment, if awarded one.

Also, I'm starting to become a little suspicious because they have made no attempt to contact me over the past two weeks either by mail or by phone and when I was talking to them, they incorrectly stated the dates from which this bill came, saying that it was in 2005.
Not sure why you are suspicious or what your are suspicious of here. You do admit to having such a bill and it seems you may have misunderstood what was even said about the date. Has there been any contact in writing from this collection agency? If not, when they call again, get their address, then ask them to send you in writing the details of the debt. Once you recieve this you can ask them (in writing) to validate the debt if there is something wrong with what they are requesting payment for.

Any possibility you can borrow from a friend or family to pay off this debt? (I know, I sound like a debt collector) but sometimes this is the best route to ttake. You get the CA off your back and as long as you don;t screw over the friend of family member, things are easier for you.

Educate yourself, then go from there.

Find out the details on the debt since you seem to have some concerns about it, the go from there.

BTW, if you mail them a payment, this does not prevent them from suing you for the remainder nor does it obligate them to even accept this payment, let alone any subsequent payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">