• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BooBoo2U

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My housemate is currently going through a debt consolidation service - which is another matter altogether. Our cell phones are on the same plan. It was cheaper to just add my phone as a second line to his plan. I have received phone calls from his creditors before on my phone, they leave a message and I just tell him about it.

Since he's no longer paying the bills at all, I am expecting to receive a larger volume of these calls. I know he did not list my number on his credit cards, so I can only assume they looked up his cell phone account somehow and think this number will reach him. I do not want to receive calls from his creditors. The particular credit card company that has called is one that I personally went through a legal ordeal with that finally ended with me getting a lawyer. It was a very upsetting debt issue that still makes my stomach rumble if I don't know the number calling me. My issues with that company have been settled for well over a year, and I do not wish to have any further communication with them, even if they are just trying to get ahold of my housemate. The stress it causes is ridiculous.

What are my rights since my cell phone is mine, but the plan is in his name? I've had to change my number before, and I don't wish to do so again simply because someone else can't pay their bills.

BooBoo2U

sadly that's not going to happen... it's $10 to add a line, it's $60 for your own.

and technically, my name and SS# are with my number. He's just the master account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">