• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone calls from debt collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chelale

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I'm currently unemployed, working only sporadically, and am almost completely broke. I'm currently two months late on all of my credit cards and have received calls from debt collectors. What can I tell them when they call? There's a very good chance in about two weeks to one month I'll be working full time again, my intention IS to pay my bills, I just can't right now.

justalayman

What can I tell them when they call?
maybe start with this:

There's a very good chance in about two weeks to one month I'll be working full time again, my intention IS to pay my bills, I just can't right now.
then follow that up with:

and I will get everything caught up by [date]

and stick to it.

whether they will accept that or not is up to them.

TigerD

maybe start with this:

then follow that up with:

and I will get everything caught up by [date]

and stick to it.

whether they will accept that or not is up to them.
While JAL's advice seems logical and solid on the surface - and it would be if you were talking about anything other than debt collectors - it fails because collectors don't care about those answers. Here is how that conversation will go:
Calling from abcdebt:
OP There is a good chance in two weeks to a month I'll be working full time again.
abcdebt: Great. I'll set up your payment schedule to begin in 30 days at $X per month. We need a confirmation payment today of $x. Will that be with your credit card or checking account?
OP: Well, I'm not paying anything today.
abcdebt: That is unfortunate. I'll note your account that you refused to make arrangements and set it forward for full and immediate collections actions against you.
OP: I'm not refusing.
abcdebt: If you are not reading me check numbers, you are refusing. Do you have attorney information you wish to provide at this time?
OP: Attorney? What do I need an attorney for?
abcdebt: I really couldn't speculate about that. Why do you think you might need an attorney?
OP: Because you are going to sue me.
abcdebt: I'm sure no one wants that to happen. Let's go ahead and set that holding payment and the payment schedule so we can ensure that doesn't happen. Read me the routing number on your check - that is the first nine numbers on the left and then your account number. We can set this first one for today and the next payment for the 7th of next month.

Frankly, if you don't have the money - don't answer the phone.

DC

Last edited:

justalayman

I like dc's response and it is quite possible how the phone call would go. I have a personal belief that would not allow me to simply not answer the phone like that. I would have to answer the phone and once there the truth is all I could give them and hope for the best.

I can see some ca's going the route dc suggested but I have experienced others that did give a limited window and sit on the account for a short period. Me personal make up is such that I don't hide from the situation but treat the collectors with due respect and hope for the best. After all, it isn't their fault I would have an outstanding debt somewhere.

single317dad

While I believe both jal and dc have provided "correct" answers, I have to side with dc on the execution. In the days of my own debt problems, I finally stopped answering calls because there was no advantage to doing so. I started saving money toward whatever goal (bring account current, negotiation of payoff, etc) and ignored all calls from that point.

Just because you talked to them and made some sort of agreement doesn't mean they'll stop calling until the agreed upon time. It's very disheartening to explain that you'll have a payment for them next Thursday then another two Thursdays later which will catch the account up, then continue to receive calls and have to make the same explanations and the same agreement repeatedly for the same account.

justalayman

single317dad;3289439]While I believe both jal and dc have provided "correct" answers, I have to side with dc on the execution. In the days of my own debt problems, I finally stopped answering calls because there was no advantage to doing so. I started saving money toward whatever goal (bring account current, negotiation of payoff, etc) and ignored all calls from that point.

when I was younger I got into a bit of financial trouble myself. My method forestalled a suit from one creditor. With another, it resulted in them accepting a stupid low payment arrangement. With the latter, after the arrangement was made and I made the first payment, the head of the collections department called me and said; sorry but this isn't acceptable. I argued back; sorry but not only did your collector accept the agreement, I have made a payment which you accepted as proof of ratification of the agreement.

the sad part was I was in a position much like the OP. My unemployment benefits were delayed for about 2 months and I was eating mac and cheese regularly. I had been informed my UI was approved but for some reason it was not released for payment. I explained this telling them as soon as the payment is released to me I would pay them 1/2 of the debt and make arrangements on the rest. They said; nope, need payment arrangements now or this is going to the next level. I said all I could afford was $5 a month. They accepted that. When the department head called she said, do you realize it will take you 5 years to pay this debt at that rate? I said; yes, I surely do but hey, you agreed to it. I further went on to say that in the time between making the agreement and this phone call I received all of my UI owed. I would have paid them 1/2 of the total as I offered but I had also realized the payment was greater than expected and actually would have paid the debt in full but hey, so much for that, we now have this agreement of $5 per month.

I made my regular payments for nearly a year before I got so tired of it I just paid it off.

Sometimes it is better to believe there are honest people out here that aren't out to shaft people. I understand a large percentage of debtors would love to avoid their debts but I'm just not one of them.

Just because you talked to them and made some sort of agreement doesn't mean they'll stop calling until the agreed upon time. It's very disheartening to explain that you'll have a payment for them next Thursday then another two Thursdays later which will catch the account up, then continue to receive calls and have to make the same explanations and the same agreement repeatedly for the same account.
it is more likely the calls would continue. Given the systems CA's use, the delinquent account would continue to pop up in a ca's list of people to call.

so, as I said before; the debt was mine and due to my circumstances. While I loathe bad CA's, I have no ill will towards CA's in general. They are simply doing a job. If they want to work with me, great. If not, I'll take my lumps as the law allows them to administer them. My debt is not their fault.

PaulMass

While JAL's advice seems logical and solid on the surface - and it would be if you were talking about anything other than debt collectors - it fails because collectors don't care about those answers. Here is how that conversation will go:
Calling from abcdebt:
OP There is a good chance in two weeks to a month I'll be working full time again.
abcdebt: Great. I'll set up your payment schedule to begin in 30 days at $X per month. We need a confirmation payment today of $x. Will that be with your credit card or checking account?
Sure, let me get my checkbook. Put down the phone and go on with your life. Eventually, he'll hang up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">