• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Physician Billing Service refuses to remove Collection from Credit report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teck5a

What is the name of your state?Florida

Hello,

A collection was reported on my credit report for $80, from a Physicians billing service. It is the result of a visit to an Urgent Care Facility, in which, I was only responsible for a $25.00 co-pay, according to my Insurance Company's Statement of Benefits. They claim that there is a separate bill from the attending Physician. I have disputed this, several times, and verified, with my Insurance company, that the Urgent Care Facility was under contracted rates, and that my only liability was the $25.00 co-pay. They also told me that what the facility was doing was called "Double Billing" and was illegal under their agreement. The Physicians Billing service did not want to hear it and turned the account over to a collection agency. I sent them all of the information including cancelled checks and the Insurance Statement showing it was paid. They then told me that it wasn't actually $80, it was only $20 that was owed and if I paid it, they would remove the collection from my report. I decided to just pay it to be rid of it. When I called to find out why the collection had not yet been removed, I was told that there was another collection account for $80, from another visit, to this same facility. In this case, the Insurance company paid the facility, we paid our $25 co-pay, but the Doctor billed another separate $80. Again, I was told that if we paid this $80, they would remove the collection from my credit reports. I paid their blackmail, once again, and now am told that they will not remove the collection, they will only report that it has been paid. This whole situation has already caused me damage because I was denied credit and ended up getting a Home Equity Loan with a higher interest rate, because of my credit scores, being unfairly, attacked.
Is there any Legal action that I can take to get them to remove the collection?

Thank you,
Teck5A

JETX

The only way to get an accurate negative removed is if the reporting party (creditor or collector) actually makes the change.

In this case, I hope that you kept the WRITTEN statements from them as to their conduct when you paid. If so, simply send a copy of the statements with proof of payment (copy of cancelled check, etc.) to the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency) and ask them to investigate and correct the report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">