• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to get a signed judgement vacated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarComp

A local credit collection agency served me papers for outstanding debt, two separate times, which I went down to their local office (not the courthouse or any government building) and negotiated payment / paid off the debt. What I did not realize at the time was that I was signing a default judgement form. I thought I was just signing a payment arrangement agreement, or something along the lines of "you pay this, or we go to court". I now have two separate judgements on my credit report. These judgements are listed on my credit report as 'satisfied'. Is it possible, or does it even make sense to try to have these judgements vacated? I honestly don't know much about the court system. Myself and my family have been relatively isolated from it.

I've called my lawyer (she helped me out when i was swindled at a car dealership, numbers didn't add up etc) and she told me that I don't have a recourse on these judgements due to it being a signed judgement. I was just naive about the whole process. I would like to be able to qualify for a mortgage sometime in mid 2017 since my family is outgrowing our currently rented home.

Court Info: Montgomery County, Indiana

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A local credit collection agency served me papers for outstanding debt, two separate times, which I went down to their local office (not the courthouse or any government building) and negotiated payment / paid off the debt. What I did not realize at the time was that I was signing a default judgement form. I thought I was just signing a payment arrangement agreement, or something along the lines of "you pay this, or we go to court". I now have two separate judgements on my credit report. These judgements are listed on my credit report as 'satisfied'. Is it possible, or does it even make sense to try to have these judgements vacated? I honestly don't know much about the court system. Myself and my family have been relatively isolated from it.

I've called my lawyer (she helped me out when i was swindled at a car dealership, numbers didn't add up etc) and she told me that I don't have a recourse on these judgements due to it being a signed judgement. I was just naive about the whole process. I would like to be able to qualify for a mortgage sometime in mid 2017 since my family is outgrowing our currently rented home.

Court Info: Montgomery County, Indiana
I would agree with your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">