• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Student Loan being paid by another school loan.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bjf2312579

I have a couple of private student loans that will be reaching the end of their deferment period soon. My girlfriend is going back to get her Master's and will be applying for Federal Stafford loans with low interest. Is it legal to use excess money that is paid to her from these loans to pay off my private student loans?

ecmst12

She would be dumb to give that money to you, but there wouldn't be anything illegal about it. Technically her student loan money in excess of what she needs for tuition is intended to be used for HER books and living expenses, but if she wants to give it away, it's on her. SHE is the one who is going to have to pay it back though, particularly after you break up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">