• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marcirv

Can a city charge property taxes on a vehicle I have not owned since 2005 for the years 2010 and 2011 if I failed to return the plates and un-register the vehicle from my name, or sign away the title? I moved out of that state in 2006 and can prove that I was in a different state for 2010 and 2011? I do not know why they are not charging me for taxes before or after 2010 and 2011?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can a city charge property taxes on a vehicle I have not owned since 2005 for the years 2010 and 2011 if I failed to return the plates and un-register the vehicle from my name, or sign away the title? I moved out of that state in 2006 and can prove that I was in a different state for 2010 and 2011? I do not know why they are not charging me for taxes before or after 2010 and 2011?
Yes.

ETA: US Law Only

FlyingRon

Obviously they CAN charge you, they did.

What your liability actually is depends on important missing details like WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR STATE (there's good reason that is inserted in the first line of the posts).

FlyingRon

I owned the cars in Virginia and now I live in North Carolina. The City of Richmond is charging me.
Not only was it incumbent on you to deregister the car, you were obliged to inform the tax office in the independent city you were living in that you no longer owned the car. You can talk to the tax office now to see if they'll take some retroactive notice that you disposed of the car/moved out of the city to decrease some of the tax liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">