• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protection from spouses debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mirtha11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Is all debt incurred during a marriage automatically both partners responsibility? If my husband never uses credit, but I open accounts in my name, is he automatically responsible for half the debt? Is it possible to write up an agreement clearing him of any responsibility that would hold up with creditors? What if we had put it in a prenup agreement?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

Is all debt incurred during a marriage automatically both partners responsibility? If my husband never uses credit, but I open accounts in my name, is he automatically responsible for half the debt? Is it possible to write up an agreement clearing him of any responsibility that would hold up with creditors? What if we had put it in a prenup agreement?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
if you are already married a prenup is out of the question at this point.

michigan is not a community property state.

what was the credit used for? personal items? or marital items?

JETX

Is all debt incurred during a marriage automatically both partners responsibility? If my husband never uses credit, but I open accounts in my name, is he automatically responsible for half the debt? Is it possible to write up an agreement clearing him of any responsibility that would hold up with creditors? What if we had put it in a prenup agreement?
Sounds like homework..... :D

mirtha11

Answering Isis

Mostly personal items. Clothes, gas, food, internet access, travel, gifts, misc wastes of money.

Country Living

If the house is titled in both names, if both names are on the bank accounts and other assets - all could be attached if you choose to default on your loans and the creditors get a judgment against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">