• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about process to dispute debt collection - I don't owe any $$

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fl_nurse

Hi there!

Long time reader first time caller ha ha.

Currently live in FL but have also lived in WA and PA in the last 10 years.

Just received in the mail a letter from Stellar Recovery Systems regarding a debt owed to "original creditor" listed as Midland Credit Management for $3296.

I have no idea who Midland Credit Mgmt is, and all research online is that they are another debt collection agency.

I am totally mystified what this debt is from and am certain I don't owe it. In fact, I know I don't owe it, and my husband and I have stellar credit - just bought a house in May 2016 and a truck in November 2016 and both of our credit scores are 800-850 with no negative remarks on them.

I have lifetime credit monitoring b/c of an info breach that occurred when my husband was a contractor for the government, and I just checked my credit score and there are no balances other than the mortgage & car payment, no mysterious credit cards, and no negative marks or judgements against me.

To say this is completely taken me by surprise is an understatement.

I'm not sure what to do. I have read the steps that I'd need to do if I feel that I owe less than is being demanded, or if I paid off the debt, but I can't find the steps to take if the debt just plain out isn't mine.

I normally would call but all that I've read online is that the company is very unhelpful, very rude, and I really don't want to get into a pissing match with someone who may or may not be a scammer about money that I do not owe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

adjusterjack

My advice: Since you got a letter. Respond with a letter, not a phone call.

Read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act:

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rules/rulemaking-regulatory-reform-proceedings/fair-debt-collection-practices-act-text

Don't rely on "steps" that you find on the internet.

Follow the statute to the letter, specifically 809 - Validation.

Come back to this thread if you need follow up discussion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">