• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on collecting in INDIANA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

InNeedofAdvice_

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana.

Hey all. I have a few court ordered payments, that have not been paid. There are 2 from 2008 and 2 from 2009. Are they still valid and can I still go after it or is it null and void after so many years?
And from the looks of it it seems to be totaling around $20k with all the interest added. So any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

quincy

Hey all. I have a few court ordered payments, that have not been paid. There are 2 from 2008 and 2 from 2009. Are they still valid and can I still go after it or is it null and void after so many years?
And from the looks of it it seems to be totaling around $20k with all the interest added. So any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
This is the third time you have posted your question. One thread is all you need.

Your thread in Small Claims that you posted yesterday will be deleted. This is probably a better place for your question anyway.

Why do you have a "few court ordered payments?" Are you in the business of collecting debts?

Last edited:

InNeedofAdvice_

Why do you have a "few court ordered payments?" Are you in the business of collecting debts?
Thank you for your response.

I work for a small business and we have been going through and cleaning out old files. We found a few court ordered payments buried within.

quincy

Thanks!
According to Indiana Code Title 34, section 34-11-2-12: "Every judgment and decree of any court of record of the United States, of Indiana, or of any other state shall be considered satisfied after the expiration of 20 years."

To discover what that actually means :))), you can look at the Opinion of the Court of Appeals in Indiana in the 2010 case Wilson v. Steward (perhaps start on Page 5): http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/11151003tac.pdf

Good luck.

latigo

Thank you for your response.

I work for a small business and we have been going through and cleaning out old files. We found a few court ordered payments buried within.
Excuse me, but it appears that you omitted the modifier "sleazy" in describing your employer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Whether efficient or clumsy, they are still sleazy predators. Have you invited one to lunch lately?
You're making a big leap there, latigo. Perhaps the small business is a wedding photographer who had to sue some folks in the past, but was unable to collect on the judgments, so they just put the paperwork in a drawer and forgot about it...nothing sleazy there.

quincy

Whether efficient or clumsy, they are still sleazy predators. Have you invited one to lunch lately?
IF InNeedofAdvice had said he was in the business of collecting debts, I might agree with you. But he said he wasn't.

I agree with Zigner that you are taking quite the leap assuming this small business preys on consumers. If the business was able to obtain judgments, it appears the consumers were the predators.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">