• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RE: old credit card debt/rude debt collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ikaika92

RE: old credit card debt/rude debt collector

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Two. days ago I was contacted by Riddle and Assoc about a credit card debt (which I did not even remember having the card) that showed last activity 2003. I have later verified with said credit card company and they show I did have the credit card. Riddle and Assoc on a side note has been the rudest company I have ever dealt with, yesterdays conversation with them ended by the rep. hanging up on me, today he talked over me while trying to talk and then he screamed I wish you the best of luck and hung up on me again. a little background on the card. Balance is 707.00 and they are offering a settlement of 373.00 (which due to our financial situation we are unable to do). I asked about monthly payments and yesterday was told that they would offer us a monthly payment of 117.90. I told them that was too high, we could not afford to do that but more like 50.00 at this time. The gentleman got rude and stated that anything sent in via payment would be posted to account but unless i agreed to one of their 2 options, further "action" would be taken and the total amount of the bill could increase by 3 times the amount. After speaking with my husband we really only can do the 50.00 per month at this time. I called Riddle and Assoc. again this a.m. talked to my rep and he kept yelling at me while i was trying to talk telling me that there are NO options other than the settlement offer or the monthly 117.90. I tried to explain that yesterday he stated ANY amount sent in would be applied to the balance and he kept screaming and saying only those 2 options. I tried to ask for a mailing address and he screamed "you have until tomorrow to figure which of the two options you take" "i wish you the best of luck" and then hung up the phone as I was still trying to get the mailing address and info.
My question/s would be
1) if we can only mail in the 50.00 don't they as a debt collector have to accept that payment and once they accept that payment is that not in fact stating they are "working" with us?
2) what does he mean when he states that the balance could go up by 2 or 3 times what it is now.
3) if wage garnishment is done is it a particual percent of income and could it amount to more than the 117.90 per month
4) at this point would i rather than messing with them be smart to find someone to help us out and "meet" their monthly payments.
I certainly do not want to alienate this guy any longer and more so I don't wish to be harassed and treated the way he did me yesterday and today. On a side note, I did call back and ask for a supervisor and guess what......they won't call me back (no surprise).
I have done research online for Riddle and Assoc and seems I see they treat most their clients the same way.
I don't and am not doubting that I owe the money at this point, I just honestly can not afford to send more than 50.00 per month but also don't want this going any further. I hope my post and questions make sense and someone out there can give me some advice. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

TigerD

ikaika92 said:
I asked about monthly payments and yesterday was told that they would offer us a monthly payment of 117.90. I told them that was too high, we could not afford to do that but more like 50.00 at this time.
You think they would be willing to set up a 13 month payment plan? Not going to happen.

ikaika92 said:
The gentleman got rude and stated that anything sent in via payment would be posted to account but unless i agreed to one of their 2 options, further "action" would be taken and the total amount of the bill could increase by 3 times the amount.
Of course. I don't know where the 3 times the amount came from unless he was trying to warn you that they were going to sue without breaking the company rules or FDCPA regarding threats.

ikaika92 said:
After speaking with my husband we really only can do the 50.00 per month at this time. I called Riddle and Assoc. again this a.m. talked to my rep and he kept yelling at me while i was trying to talk telling me that there are NO options other than the settlement offer or the monthly 117.90. I tried to explain that yesterday he stated ANY amount sent in would be applied to the balance and he kept screaming and saying only those 2 options.
Any amount you send in will be applied to the balance. It will not stop collections. It will not stop the calls; it will not stop the credit reporting; it will not stop any action they regularly take on their accounts. They are offering you a payment plan -- quite reasonable too. I suggest you take it.

ikaika92 said:
I tried to ask for a mailing address and he screamed "you have until tomorrow to figure which of the two options you take" "i wish you the best of luck" and then hung up the phone as I was still trying to get the mailing address and info.
A collector's time is too valuable to play games with people that refuse to pay their bill. If you aren't going to pay the balance in full, settlement you were offered or set up a payment plan that THEY approve, you aren't paying your bill and not worth the time to talk to.

ikaika92 said:
My question/s would be
1) if we can only mail in the 50.00 don't they as a debt collector have to accept that payment and once they accept that payment is that not in fact stating they are "working" with us?
No. That means they are going to come down harder on you.

2) what does he mean when he states that the balance could go up by 2 or 3 times what it is now.[/QUOTE]
The settlement offer will be revoked. And you could be sued.

ikaika92 said:
3) if wage garnishment is done is it a particual percent of income and could it amount to more than the 117.90 per month
If it gets past the judgement point, you have a lot more to worry about than just their garnishing your wages. There are liens on your house, bank account levies, sheriff's sales of your non-exempt property....

ikaika92 said:
4) at this point would i rather than messing with them be smart to find someone to help us out and "meet" their monthly payments.
Great cancel cable and pay them.

ikaika92 said:
I certainly do not want to alienate this guy any longer and more so I don't wish to be harassed and treated the way he did me yesterday and today. On a side note, I did call back and ask for a supervisor and guess what......they won't call me back (no surprise).
Why would they? You don't have a real complaint. The supervisors time is more valuable than the collectors.

ikaika92 said:
I don't and am not doubting that I owe the money at this point, I just honestly can not afford to send more than 50.00 per month but also don't want this going any further.
That isn't an option that you have. If you don't want this to go further, you are going to have to meet their terms.

DC

ikaika92

to DC

Thanks for the reply, it really did help me. I have decided to do their payment plan of $117.90 just for mere fact to get it taken care of and get them off my back. thanks for your insight.

Ladynred

First of all, the screaming and yelling is a violation of the FDCPA (abusive behavior).. but that is hallmark of this trash collector. Riddle and Co. used to do CAMCO"s dirty work.. and CAMCO has been shut down.. too bad the FTC didn't shut down their cronies at Riddle too. :mad:

As for the so-called 'supervisor', it's doubtful the person you spoke to had any such lofty title.. the collector probably handed the phone to the jerk at the next desk to pretend to be a 'supervisor'.

You need to read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and learn YOUR rights and THEIR limitations. It's unlikely Riddle and Scumpany would sue for such a small amount, they prefer abuse and intimidation to scare people into paying. Their bogus 'deadline' is an indicator that they're full of bull up to their eyeballs.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm#806

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">