• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received Summons for Debt Collection in state where I do not live

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfreetofly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I have received a summons from American Express to appear in a NY court. It went to my boyfriends address where I sometimes visit. (I did use his address as my credit card billing address before the card was canceled.) However, my residence is actually in MN. (This is where i file taxes, have my drivers license, etc.) What should I do about the summons? Do I need to pay airfare to visit my now ex boyfriend in order to appear and answer the summons, or is there a way of answering from MN? The lawyers handling the case for American Express got me to admit on the phone that I did receive the summons in NY but I did not explain that it came to my boyfriend and not me. The sent me an offer at the same time of 0% interest if I would call to make payment arrangements and then after getting me to admit I got the summons they said I don't qualify for the offer. So they are aware that I've received it. What should I do? The amount originally owed was $17,000 and now it's up to $23,000 with fees and such. I don't really want to rack up more lawyer fees by having it transferred to MN but don't really know how to handle it from here.

nrknlknek

Your options are limited, particularly with AMEX as they are rather aggressive and this is a lot of money. Unless you have either (a) the means to pay the debt or (b) a very good defense that the debt is somehow not valid, you will have a judgment against you unless you can negotiate a settlement NOW before they get their judgment. The jurisdiction in which you were served is a mute point because they can get their judgment in NY and then domesticate it in MN. I would contact them and find out if there is any deal they can give you even if it is not the zero percent deal. Try to avert a judgment against you if you can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">