• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recouping payment after a stop payment order on a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mebrowning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am a nutritional consultant and provide initial consultation for the amount of $60. Three days after meeting with a potential client, she decided that she did not like my advice and placed a stop payment order on the check. I have now been assessed a fee by my bank, in addition to the loss of the original $60. There was no contract involved as this was merely an initial consultation to decide if the individual would become a client. The agreement was merely verbal, and the person even refused a receipt as she said the check would serve as her receipt. I request payment due at the time of service for this initial consult and make that clear to all potential clients, explaining that after the initial consultation, they are under no obligation to continue with me. Do I have any legal recourse?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am a nutritional consultant and provide initial consultation for the amount of $60. Three days after meeting with a potential client, she decided that she did not like my advice and placed a stop payment order on the check. I have now been assessed a fee by my bank, in addition to the loss of the original $60. There was no contract involved as this was merely an initial consultation to decide if the individual would become a client. The agreement was merely verbal, and the person even refused a receipt as she said the check would serve as her receipt. I request payment due at the time of service for this initial consult and make that clear to all potential clients, explaining that after the initial consultation, they are under no obligation to continue with me. Do I have any legal recourse?
Sue the bad person in small claims court.

ecmst12

You might send them a letter first, demanding that they pay the consult fee plus your bank fees, OR you will sue them for that amount plus whatever it costs to file in small claims court in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">