• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

refusal to accept partial payment on judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holly g

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently served with a judgement against me for thousands of dollars from my ex lawyer. I attempted to send her money on that judgement and she returned it to me. Is that refusal to accept money mean that she will not accept anything less than the total amount owed? Or I had heard that refusal to accept any money against a debt means the debt is automatically paid in full?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Some Random Guy

The person with the judgment against you does not need to accept less than the full amount and are not required to accept payment plans unless specified in the court order.

Keep saving up to pay it all off or work with the judgment holder to see if they will accept payments before sending in a check.

dolebot

Or I had heard that refusal to accept any money against a debt means the debt is automatically paid in full?
You heard wrong.

Its actually the other way around. There is a legal theory that is successfully argued all the time. Its in some statutes, I'm not willing to look them up right now but it most commonly comes up under landlord/tenant law.

If a creditor accepts any payment at all - then the bill is paid in full.

Refusing to accept a payment doesn't change the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">