• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Releasing Small Claims in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused777

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A vendor got a default judgement against me in 2001. I didn't know about it and paid the claim in 2005 after finding it on my credit report and investigating. Then I thought they would release it. But then they wanted more money for interest and court fees and administrative fees. So I paid that a couple months ago. But the claim is still shown as unpaid by the court and hence on my credit record.

I talked to the court and they said they need a letter of satisfaction from the vendor. But the vendor doesn't respond to my inquiries.

1. Do I have any rights to get this updated ?
2. If I never received the original court claim, can I go back and just get this whole thing removed?

seniorjudge

confused777 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

A vendor got a default judgement against me in 2001. I didn't know about it and paid the claim in 2005 after finding it on my credit report and investigating. Then I thought they would release it. But then they wanted more money for interest and court fees and administrative fees. So I paid that a couple months ago. But the claim is still shown as unpaid by the court and hence on my credit record.

I talked to the court and they said they need a letter of satisfaction from the vendor. But the vendor doesn't respond to my inquiries.

1. Do I have any rights to get this updated ?
2. If I never received the original court claim, can I go back and just get this whole thing removed?
Some small claims court will allow you to show them payments giving the creditor all the money they are supposed to have and then give you a satisfaction of judgment.

However, if the court needs something from the creditor and the creditor will not provide you with a satisfaction of judgment, then you will have to subpoena the creditor back into court on a show cause hearing as to why they should not be held in contempt for not giving you a satisfaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">